Thursday, May 13, 2010

So BERRY yummy

For some reason, summer makes me think of Apple Pie. I don't even really like apple pie (I know...I'm not American), but I do love berries. I stumbled upon this recipe for Individual Mixed Berry Pies from the Pillsbury website, and have made them quite a few times. I made these tasty treats this past weekend, when we had my parents and in-laws over for dessert. They were a hit, and so easy to make.

I assembled them before dinner, and put them in the oven as soon as we finished eating dinner. That way, they had time to bake (about 20 mins) and cool (about 15 mins), and we had time to chat and make room for dessert. They are so cute, the PERFECT size/portion, and everyone gets their own little serving :)

The recipe calls specifically for Strawberries, Blueberries, and Raspberries, but you can really put any kind of berry in there. I had one of those frozen bags of mixed berries in my freezer, and that worked perfectly.




INDIVIDUAL MIXED BERRY PIES

INGREDIENTS
1 cup frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed
3/4 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries, thawed
3/4 cup frozen unsweetened raspberries, thawed
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz box), softened as directed on box
1 teaspoon sugar
(Vanilla Ice Cream if desired)


DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oven to 425°F. In large bowl, mix berries, 1/3 cup sugar and the cornstarch.
2. Divide berry mixture among 4 (6-oz) custard cups or ramekins.
3. Unroll pie crust on work surface. Cut 4 (5-inch) rounds from pie crust. Place each round over pie filling, draping over edges of custard cups. Cut slits on top of each. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar. Place custard cups on cookie sheet.
4. Bake 20 minutes or until edges are deep golden brown and centers are thoroughly baked. Cool about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
(I served mine with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream on the side...perfection.)

No comments: