Thursday, September 29, 2011

Taste of India

I made this dish last week, and it turned out to be really yummy!  I am still doing the Paleo diet for the most part (read about here)...and this is definitely a Paleo friendly recipe.  And it is FULL of flavor.  I've never cooked Indian food before, so this was a first, but John and I both really loved it!  

There were a couple ingredients that are listed below that I didn't use... (fenugreek seeds and tumeric), mainly because I didn't have them and didn't want to spend $6 on a bottle of something that I only needed a 1/2 teaspoon of.....BUT if you have them, use them!  Also it called for boned and skinned chicken thighs, which I did buy, but I'm sure you could use whatever chicken you have handy.  

Ok, here it is:  

via my Instagram



North Indian Style Chicken
(adapted from 30 days of Paleo)

3  tablespoons  canola oil
1/2  teaspoon  fenugreek seeds (optional)
1/2  teaspoon  turmeric (optional)
1/2  teaspoon  cayenne
1  large onion, chopped
8  ounces  cremini or button mushrooms, quartered
2-in. piece fresh ginger
4  large garlic cloves
2  teaspoons  each ground coriander and cumin
2  teaspoons  kosher salt
1 1/2  pounds  boned, skinned chicken thighs, cut into 1-in. chunks (or chicken breasts)
1  cup  diced canned tomatoes
1  pound  baby spinach
1/4  bunch cilantro
1  tablespoon  fresh lemon juice

1. In a 6- to 8-qt. pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add fenugreek seeds (if using); sizzle 2 seconds, then stir in onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Meanwhile, mince  garlic and ginger.
2. Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, cayenne, coriander, cumin, and salt to pot; sizzle a few seconds. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, 3 minutes, or until no longer pink on the outside. Add tomatoes and simmer, covered, 8 minutes.
3. Stir in spinach and simmer, covered, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, chop enough cilantro leaves and tender stems to yield 1 cup. Stir into pot, along with lemon juice.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Sounds delish. Thanks for posting...I will be trying.

And I'm like you - I just don't put in a spice that I don't have. I hate how expensive they are for such an occasional use!

Hilliary Meisner said...

This looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it with us!