Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Stuffed Shells



So, I promised I would share this recipe if it got good reviews from me and my hubby, AND.....it passed with flying colors!  It was actually really fun to make, and it was a delicious combination of pasta, cheeses, spinach, and spices.  It was a fun change from the usual spaghetti that we do at least once a week.  (We are huge pasta fans!)  I ended up actually combining two recipes (from The Sister's Cafe and Megan Land), and then kind of adapted it and made it my own.  So I cannot take all the credit for the following recipe - it was definitely a group effort :)

Hope you enjoy it!  I would recommend serving it with salad, garlic toast, and wine of your choice.
XOXO 




Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Shells


Ingredients:
1 box jumbo shells
1 C mozzarella cheese
1/2 C parmesan cheese
1 egg white
12oz ricotta cheese
8oz frozen chopped spinach
1 jar marinara

*optional:
2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 C sun-dried tomatoes



Directions:
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Cook shells according to box.  While shells are cooking, thaw spinach (I used the microwave), and drain.
2. Combine in large bowl the following: cheeses, ricotta, egg white, spinach, seasonings, and tomatoes.


3. Grease 9x13 dish, (or 2 smaller square dishes).
4. Spread just enough marinara to cover the bottom of the dish.
5. Place shells in dish, and spoon mixture into the shells.



 6. Pour remaining marinara over stuffed shells, and spread all over.  Then sprinkle with extra parmasan and/or mozzarella cheese.  



7. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until cooked through.



Enjoy!!  
P.S. This is a great dish to freeze too, just complete steps 1-6, then cover and freeze.  If frozen, when ready to eat, add 1 hour to the normal baking time.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Thank you! Printing now!

Anonymous said...

yum emmie! I love stuffed shells! hey - shep is sick. but i'm going to try and call you on my way home from work today! XOXOX LOVE YOU!

Sarah said...

these look/sound SO good! will definitely be making them soon...
thanks for sharing!

Taren said...

Those look sooo yummy!! They remind me of Giada De Laurentis' lasagna rolls!!

T

life-of-te.blogspot.com

Elle Sees said...

i've honestly never tried these (half italian over here) but these look easy and delish.

Unknown said...

This recipe looks so delicious!

And thank you for checking out my blog! I'm glad you did, I'm now following yours!

Kelly said...

These look incredible. I'm hungry now...