Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sangria


Last night, we had some of our good friends, Laura and Mike, over for an evening of yummy food and fun.  I wanted to try out some new recipes, and I decided to make it a "mexican" theme.  I made guacamole, chicken enchiladas, and mexican rice (recipes to come). I LOVE mexican food.... we have tacos at least once a week at the Sadlow abode.  For drinks, I was debating between whipping up some margaritas or sangria, and decided to go with the sangria.  

I remember LOVING it when I tried it while living abroad in Spain during college, but I hadn't really had it much since. I love the fruitiness and sweetness of it, and how you can change the taste with different kinds of fruits.  It is a great drink for spring and summer, so refreshing.

So here's the recipe!  I started with this one, and then just adapted it a little bit.

Ingredients:

1 bottle of red wine (I used Cabernet)
1 lemon cut in wedges
1 orange cut in wedges
1 lime cut in wedges
2 Tbsp of sugar
splash of OJ
1 C of frozen fruit (I used a mixed bag of peaches, strawberries, and raspberries
4 C ginger ale

Directions:

Pour wine into a large pitcher.
Squeeze juice of lemon, orange, and lime into the wine.
Toss in the fruit wedges, leaving out the seeds (if possible)
Add sugar and orange juice.
Chill overnight, if you can plan ahead.
Add frozen fruit, ginger ale, and ice right before serving. 
(If serving immediately, and not chilling overnight, use chilled wine, and serve over lots of ice.)

Enjoy!  It was very easy, and soooo yummy!  :)




9 comments:

Ruthie said...

Wow, that looks so good! I love sangria so I will have to try out this recipe, thanks!

melissa said...

Ohhhhhmy goodness. This looks AMAZING! I could go for one of these right about now, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I never actually knew what it took to make one of these! I hope you're having a great week! xo

Kelly said...

We add a little gin to our sangria - makes it a little more potent, and adds some flavor. Try it someday!

Jenny N said...

ahh! I love sangria!! So yummy.

Molly said...

i don't usually drink red wine, but that recipe sounds delicious!

Tracy said...

Isn't homemade sangria the best?!

Anonymous said...

yyuuummmm bestie!!! :)

Lindsay said...

ahh! thank you so much for posting this! i love red sangria and i have had the hardest time finding a good recipe that didn't involve 4,000 liquors.

Fash Boulevard said...

yum. this looks so good. thanks for another amazing post love. if you get a chance swing by to see my choice for fabulous friday and later today my picks for fash fave and fash fail for this week. xoxo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com